Northern Michigan Inquiry Hub
Compelling Question: Are we more or less civilized than people of the past?
1) What solutions do you think people developed to solve new problems?
2) What are Hammurabi's Code, Confessions of the Deceased, and the Constitution?
3) What can you infer about the main concerns or problems of each society?
Compelling Question: Is it better to be a boy or a girl in society?
1) What are the different roles of men and women in society?
2) Does society treat men and women equally?
3) Why are men and women treated differently in some societies?
Compelling Question: Does where you live support your success or downfall?
1) What are the challenges for isolated civilizations that lack water, fertile soil, and natural resources?
2) What are the impacts of natural resources and geography on the development of civilizations?
3) How do environmental factors impact trade between civilizations?
Compelling Question: Do methods of food production determine who has power in society?
1) How did foraging groups produce food during the Paleolithic era?
2) How did agrarian groups produce food during the Neolithic Era?
3) In what ways did social institutions of foragers and agrarians facilitate their survival?
Compelling Question: Did Industrialization make life better?
1) What were the characteristics of factory life for the working and business classes?
2) How did Industrialization impact city growth and city life?
3) How did conditions change throughout the 19th century?